I really do like to say I’m “just a mom.” And a few other things, but mostly, after 20+ years of it, I identify most with being a mom, homemaker, and wife. I’ve tried a lot of other things–studying herbal medicine, life coaching, and retail buying/management, to name a few. Early in my adult life, I even studied to be a Lutheran Pastor and served as a student chaplain and intern pastor for over a year.
I’m an English major, through and through. I’m really great at copyediting because I have this weird knack for remembering just about every grammar rule out there, and that’s no mean feat when the language is as crazy-complex as English. I’m a voracious reader, which is why majoring in English felt like more fun than work. (I have to read this Shakespeare play tonight? All in one night? Yay! An excuse to do nothing but read all day/evening and eat toast for dinner!) I also love to write, so there you have the trifecta for being an English major. And finally, now that I’m a freelance copyeditor, I’m even getting paid for what I learned in school! (My grandma would be happy…it only took me 22 years to
get create a job using my degree.)
As a writer, I use this blog space to share true stories, from my heart. Here you’ll find snippets from my life and an eclectic mix of writings on topics that interest me.
A little bit more about me:
- I’m an INFP and an Enneagram 9w1, and I always work from the heart. Besides my family, my greatest passions revolve around words.
- I’ve been reading anything I can get my hands on since at least the 3rd grade when I discovered the Encyclopedia Brown books at my school library.
- My favorite books as a child: The Little House on the Prairie and Anne of Green Gables series.
- I got my start as a teen-aged poet, with one poem about my grandpa published, and one really nice rejection letter from a Seventeen magazine editor (among many other generic rejection letters).
- I usually maintain a daily writing practice of at least three pages a day, and many days I write more than that.
- In 2005 and 2014 I wrote 50,000 word novels as part of NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month).
- My favorite books as an adult: Cold Mountain, the Outlander series, My Antonia, and Gone with the Wind, to name a few.
- As a total grammar geek, I love spending my time contemplating whether a period should go inside or outside of quotation marks (always inside for American English, but question marks are debatable).
If you’d like to work with me, either through coaching or writing and copyediting, please contact me at email@example.com