As I sat and thought this morning “I really need to write a blog post”, I was having a hard time coming up with what to say when the question dawned on me, “Why not just write about what’s going on for you right now?”
Okay, why not? It’s a little scary to write about because I feel, again, that I am in such a transition period. Things are changing fast in my world, and it’s sometimes a little daunting to figure it all out. I’m not supposed to figure it all out, I guess—I’m just supposed to go with it so that’s what I’ll do with you today.
What’s calling me right now?
Recently I received an email in my inbox with just that question, from Tara Sophia Mohr (a great coach and inspiration to me lately as her first book is about to be released). In it, she wrote these lines which really resonated with me:
“I’m not a fan of the question, “What’s my calling?” because the question is stressful, and it also implies we each only have one calling. I am, however, a fan of the question, “What’s calling me right now?” (Read her full post here.)
What’s calling me now is writing, plain and simple. I have long had a love affair with words, and I have been a writer my entire life (as far as I can remember; I’ve been a reader that long too).
Along my life’s path I have tried very hard NOT to be a writer. It’s too hard, I thought. There’s so many books and so much writing out there nobody will want to read mine! I don’t know how to go about getting published. I don’t know anything about the business and I really don’t want to learn about that…etc. etc. etc. These were all the voices in my head telling me I couldn’t write and shouldn’t even bother trying.
In fact, it’s still feeling scary even to put this ambition out into the world as I’m writing it to you this moment. I’m thinking oh gosh, this feels like too much! You’re admitting you want to write for a living! Who does that?
And the thing is, I don’t want to completely give up coaching. I love the clients I have right now, and I like coaching. I’m going to limit my focus on one-to-one coaching from here on though, and keep my practice limited to a couple of my just-right clients–those who seek me out and know I’m the person for them, and for whom I feel a ‘just right’ fit.
But you can only ask your clients “What do you truly want?” so many times without having to come to grips with what you YOU truly want.
And well, you already know what I truly want. What makes MY heart sing is writing. I’m good at it, it makes good use of my brain’s natural tendencies (which is to process in writing MUCH better than I process through speaking), and I am such a homebody I love that I get to do this while being HOME.
So I’ve set myself some tasks to learn step by step.
- First and foremost, I’m writing for myself one to two hours every day, or about 1000-2000 words a day. It’s not always good writing, but it keeps me in the habit.
- I put a gig up on fiverr.com and I’m writing for other people. This one’s gone gangbusters already and I’m getting up to five gigs a day and multiple 5-star reviews! AND, I love it.
- I’m publishing on medium.com when I feel I have something to share on a larger platform. This piece that I wrote last week got over 800 views in two days. That’s the largest audience I’ve had in a while! (I’ve been asked to and have joined the Introvert Writer’s Guild there.)
- I’m also keeping up this blog and my occasional newsletter to my email list, and in time I hope to gain some sponsor ads for my blog so I can really focus on writing here. (Coaches, spiritual intuitives, herbalists, homeopaths, authors–I’m talking to you!)
- I also copyedit for some friends of mine, and earlier this year I edited an entire book for another life coach. I am opening up space to do more of that.
- I am going to rewrite this website soon to focus more on writing and copyediting clients, primarily people with whom I have much in common—coaches, spiritual ‘types’, holistic health practitioners, and others who feel called to work with me.
My writing focus is going to be very similar to my coaching focus. I AM a coach inside, and I love to express that by writing about life purpose, living from the heart, self-expression, joy and truth and all that stuff I’ve been writing about. Through coaching I found my message, and I’m not going to be changing much about that.
Although ‘what’s calling me now’ might change and transition as the time goes by, this is what’s calling me at the moment and I hope you’ll stick around to watch as things progress. I’m so happy I’ve let you in on what’s going on for me right now. I feel like the ‘secret’ is out of the bag!